Previous News & Announcements
- February 22, 2017 - AAIA Amici Brief in Standing Rock Case
- February 13, 2017 - Judge Denies Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's Request to Block Final Link in DAPL
- February 7, 2017 - Army Corps Grants Easement for Dakota Access Pipeline
- January 31, 2017 - Army Corps Told to Approve Dakota Pipeline Easement
- January 24, 2017 - Trump takes action to move forward with Keystone, Dakota Access pipelines.
- January 24, 2017 - Court Denies TRO to Prevent Publishing Dakota Access EIS Notice.
- January 20, 2017 - Indigenous Women Rise: Women's March on Washington: Join the circle of Indigenous women with hundreds of thousands women from across the country on January 21st to march on Washington, D.C. standing together in solidarity for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families. The Women's March on Washington will send a bold message to the incoming presidential administration and to the world that women's rights are human rights. Get involved here.
- January 19, 2017 - New Post in Turtle Talk: A Look at the Next Four Years in Indian Affairs by Matthew Fletcher.
- December 2016
- November 2016
- November 30, 2016 - AAIA Sends US AG Letter Opposing DAPL. Read more here.
- November 23, 2016 - New York Times Editorial: Power Imbalance at the Pipeline Protest.
- November 10, 2016 - DC-Area Dakota Access Pipeline Events: Annapolis, Md on November 12 and Washington, DC on December 10.
- November 3, 2016 - New York Times Editorial: Time to Move the Standing Rock Pipeline.
- October 2016
- October 18, 2016 - AAIA provides Testimony before the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, Oversight Field Hearing on “The Theft, Illegal Possession, Sale, Transfer and Export of Tribal Cultural Items”
- September 2016
- September 22, 2016 - AAIA Announces Final Agenda for its 2nd Indigenous International Repatriation Conference, September 26-27, 2016, Isleta Resort & Casino, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- September 9, 2016 - $2M launches effort to bring indigenous artifacts home
- August 2016
- August 22-AAIA Announces Preliminary Agenda for its 2nd Indigenous International Repatriation Conference, September 26-27, 2016, Isleta Resort & Casino, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- August 21- Senator Martin Heinrich's (D-NM) August 20, 2016 Op-Ed in the Santa Fe New Mexican
- August 1 - The U.N. Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) granted the AAIA consultative status on July 25, 2016. This consultative status will enable the AAIA to engage more fully with ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies. Read more here.
- July 2016
- July 29 - Congratulations to the recipients of the AAIA Scholarship Program!
- July 25 - Scholarship recipients have been selected and will be contacted by Friday, July 29, 2016. Emails will be sent out to all other applicants next week for information on how to apply next year.
- July 16 - Registration has begun for the 2016 Indigenous International Repatriation Conference. Don't forget to register!
- July 6, 2016 - Martin Heinrich Press Release - Heinrich Introduces Bill To Prohibit Exporting Sacred Native American Items. Click here to view the press conference.
- July 1, 2016 - The AAIA has MOVED! Visit our Contact page for our new address.
- June 2016
- June 28, 2016 - Summer Camp Recipients have been selected!
- June 26, 2016 - Santa Fe New Mexican - Our View: Keep pressure up to restore artifacts
- June 24, 2016 - Farmington Daily Times - Navajo Nation supports cultural items bill
- June 24, 2016 - The Inquirer Daily News - Can the Army tell who's buried at the Carlisle Indian cemetery?
- June 23, 2016 - TurtleTalk - Dollar General Affirmed by an Equally Divided Court
- June 22, 2016 - Santa Fe New Mexican - Tribes hail halted sale of Acoma shield; collectors ask what’s next
- REGISTRATION IS OPEN! Sign up for the Indigenous International Repatriation Conference!
- June 8, 2016 - TurtleTalk - Final Indian Child Welfare Act Regulations
- May 2016
- May 24, 2016 - The Association on American Indian (AAIA) will be participating in the National Museum of the American Indian’s (NMAI) Emergency Meeting Regarding Sale of Human Remains and Sacred Objects at Paris Auction. Executive Director Kimberly Dutcher will be making a statement, which can be found here. View the live webcast at 3:30 p.m. EST here: http://nmai.si.edu/explore/multimedia/webcasts/.
- May 24, 2016 - The Washington Post - Native Americans protest planned auction in France of sacred objects and human remains
- SAVE THE DATE! AAIA's 2nd Annual Indigenous International Repatriation Conference September 26-28!
- May 1, 2016 - Army open to returning remains of Rosebud Sioux
- ACTION ALERT - National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition - Sign the Petition for Carlisle Boarding School to Send the Children Home
- March 2016
- March 7, 2016 1:30 PM EST - Participation of Indigenous Peoples at the United Nations
- March 2, 2016 - Pearce Introduces PROTECT Patrimony Resolution to Congress
- March 1, 2016 - AAIA's Scholarship Season has begun! Visit our Scholarships & Summer Camps page for more information.
- News from 2015
- TurtleTalk - A Native American Parent Confronts a Pervasive NFL Slur
- The New York Times - Indian Tribes Look Beyond Casinos for Income
- Annie E. Casey Foundation - New Practice Guide: LGBT Youth in the Juvenile Justice System
- TurtleTalk/The Wall Street Journal - Couples Sue Over Tribal Adoption Hurdles
- TurtleTalk - ICWA Defense Project Memo
- The New York Times - Native Lives Matter, Too
- Kimberly A. Dutcher became Executive Director of the Association on American Indian Affairs in July 2015. Click on the image above to visit Who We Are and learn more!
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Prevention Project - Webinar Series
- AAIA is proud to be partnering with the Arc to support a webinar will include an overview of the history, diagnostic criteria and lifelong cognitive and neurological disorders related to FASD. The presenters will use personal stories to describe how individuals, their families, and communities are affected by alcohol and FASD. Click on the banner below for registration and more information.
- AAIA, Counsel for Amicus Curiae for Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell in efforts to bring Jim Thorpe home.
- A Guide to International Repatriation
- ICWA Defense Project Memorandum, whose synopsis on the attacks on ICWA is wonderfully explained
- AAIA February 2015 Scholarship Press Release
Previous AAIA Events